Sunday, October 30, 2011

Don't Bring Shame to our Name

I'll never forget the following words my Dad told me in the Autumn of 1994 "There's nothing within our power that we haven't tried to do to give you the best, please don't bring shame to our name"

Oh I'm sorry. Welcome once again to Heaven Here We Come :). Yeah I know its been months since I last updated this Blog, but here's some good news, I'll now be updating it weekly. But wait, there's more good news, I'll also be extending the expiration date of the Blog for the the amount of months I missed. So instead of the original expiration date of 12/31/2011, it will now expire on 7/31/2012.

As I was saying about the Autumn of 1994 when I was working as a security guard earning a little over the minimum wage. Only problem though, I looked, dressed and bought stuff like I was working on wall street. I had it all. Matching Starter Hats and Nike Sneakers, Girbauds, Guess Jeans, Tommy Hilfiger Rugbys, Timbs, Jordans, Fahrenheit Cologne by Christian Dior etc. Back then, The A&S (now Macy's) on Fulton street in downtown Brooklyn new me very well. My parents will quickly take notice and ask how I was able to afford all this stuff on a mere security guard's paycheck. And I told them it' was God's blessing. Yeah right! Fact was I earning some extra funds in a less than honorable way and they knew it. My mum yelled and called me all sorts of unflattering names to try to get me to stop, but everything went in one ear and straight out the other. My Dad, however,  will take a different approach. He came up to me one evening after I returned from another shopping spree and simply said "There's nothing within our power that we haven't tried to do to give you the best, please don't bring shame to our name" and walked away. Those words not only pierced my heart, but also left me perplexed. So much so that I had to call my homies that I wanted out of our not so honorable money making schemes.

Today, another Father is calling upon his children to not bring shame to His Name. That will be our Heavenly Father calling upon those of us who claim to be Christians, to live up to the promise we made to follow in the footsteps of His only begotten Son, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. As a Christian, its important for each one of us to check ourselves from time to time to ensure that we are bringing Honor and not Shame to to his Holy Name. May His goodness and mercy continue to abide with us all.

Well, that's all for now folks. Have a great week ahead.

Ebenezeri,
Prince Olu

P.S
Btw, one of the greatest musicians (if not the greatest) of time reminds us in his Evergreen Hit Yungba, Yungba as he sings "R'onu ko to wuwa, ranti omo eni to je" which simply means,  let your behavior reflect the child of who you are.

Disclaimer: If you are not a Christian or don't give a damn about bringing shame to your family's name, please feel free to behave as you please.